The Compass Group has deep expertise in sustainability and LEED Consulting for Existing Buildings. We serve all commercial and institutional organizations. We have a wealth of knowledge in assisting with obtaining initial certification, and we are market leaders in LEED-EB recertification.
Dirk brings 19 years of project management experience in planning, development, and construction in the public, private, and non-profit sectors. For the past 15 years Dirk has focused on implementing sustainable management and practices within the built environment. He has focused on the delivery of sustainability management with a focus on LEED.
Dirk has enjoyed extensive involvement with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) and the LEED for Existing Buildings (LEED-EB) Program from 2007 to the present including the following:
- Conducted LEED-EB gap analysis on over 33 million square feet of various building types.
- Managed and overseen the certification of over 24 million square feet, over 21 LEED certified building projects (LEED project implementation support, LEED-Online training, technical support, application documentation preparation and review and/or LEED-Online project management).
- Provided technical guidance for LEED application reviews on over 200 LEED-EB certified buildings.
- Participated in the development of the Reduced Occupancy Guidance for the USGBC.
- Assisted the USGBC with the beta testing of the LEED Online Credit Forms.
- Chair of the USGBC’s Water Efficiency Technical Advisory Group.
- Member of the USGBC’s Technical Committee
- Chair of the Wisconsin Green Building Alliance (WGBA) Advocacy Committee.
- LEED Accredited Professional (O+M)
- Dirk’s past and current clients include Abbott Laboratories, Akridge, American Landmark Properties, Boston Properties, Brandywine, CINNOVAS Development Group, CIM Group, Clinton Foundation, Crescent Ridge Corporate Center II, Diversey Inc., Exelon, Georgetown University, Hines, International Finance Corporation, International Monetary Fund, Jones Lang LaSalle, Gresham-Barlow School District, Kohler, Lincoln Property Company, Mattel, Meriter Hospital, Monona Terrace Convention Center, National Geographic Society, Quad Graphics, Schlitz Park, ServiceMaster Brands, Sequoya Branch Library, State of Wisconsin, University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics, US Mint, and The World Bank.
Dirk also volunteers his time as a Sustainability Subject Matter Expert for IFMA.
Connect with Dirk:
Steve has over 22 years of sustainability management experience in energy, water, emissions and other environmental fields. He has created numerous sustainability reports for corporate and institutional clients. In addition, Steve has enjoyed extensive involvement with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) and the LEED for Existing Buildings (LEED-EB) Program from 2001 to the present including the following:
- LEED building project consultant for over 25 LEED certified building projects (LEED project implementation support, LEED-Online training, technical support, application documentation preparation and review and/or LEED-Online project management).
- Wrote the LEED-EB v2.0 Volume Certification Guidelines for the USGBC Pilot Program, provided sole technical support to the USGBC regarding development of tools and guidelines for the LEED-EB O&M 2008 and 29 volume certification programs and performed all but one of the LEED-EB pilot volume certification application reviews to-date.
- Primary LEED application reviewer for over 500 LEED-EB certified buildings and QC Manager and reviewer for an additional 200 LEED-EB certified buildings.
- Created the USGBC’s LEED-EB excel letter templates and assisted with their integration into the LEED Online tool.
- Member of the USGBC’s LEED Advisory Committee.
- Former member of the USGBC’s Implementation Advisory Committee.
- LEED Accredited Professional (O+M) and USGBC Certified LEED Project Reviewer
- Steve’s past and current clients include Akridge, Boston Properties, City of Madison, Clinton Foundation, Green Building Certification Institute, IFMA Foundation, Invista, Johnson & Johnson, Johnson Controls, Kohler, Milliken, National Association of Manufacturers, National Geographic Society, Philips Lighting, QuadGraphics, SCA, ULI, U.S. EPA, USGBC, U.S. Mint, and The World Bank.
Connect with Steve:
Allison Struss has four years of experience in the green building and sustainability field. Her interest in sustainability revolves around the built environment and the ways that humans interact with it. She earned a BS degree in Environmental Sciences from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in May of 2015, with certificates in Engineering for Energy Sustainability and Environmental Studies. Allison’s involvement with the United States Green Building Council and LEED includes the following:
- LEED application reviewer for over 50 LEED-EB certified buildings.
- Developed documentation for the Madison Children’s Museum 2014 LEED O+M Gold Certification.
- Developed the IAQ Management Plan for the Wisconsin Energy Institute 2014 LEED BD+C Gold Certification.
- Worked with Green Seal to assess how certified products can be better used to gain LEED points.
- Became a LEED Accredited Professional (O+M) in March of 2016; previously a LEED Green Associate from March 2015 to March 2016.
Connect with Allison: